Kaiser Permanente is an integrated health delivery system and the largest non-profit health plan in the U.S., serving more than eight million members.
With 36,000,000 electronic medical records and 32,000,000 electronic prescriptions, KP.org is the largest civilian deployment of enterprise health records in the U.S. The site receives 4.5 million hits per day and integrates 129 different applications. In 2009, KP.org:
- Processed 6.9M online prescription orders
- Handled 8.6M patient messages sent to providers
- Helped reduce missed appointments by 1.9M and reduce follow-up appointments by 8%
KP.org was seeking technology and processes to satisfy the dynamic business needs of its user base. The legacy system was largely contained in a single J2EE application that was complex and frustrating to maintain. The growing success of the site has resulted in an increased demand to provide new functionality in a decreased cycle time.
Perficient addressed Kaiser’s need with a solution that included:
- Migrating KP.org to WebSphere Portal to provide greater features and functionality along with an agile development environment for ease of migration and deployment
- A review of the legacy application and all planned enhancements to the site and validated the proposed future state architecture
Business Value Delivered
- Perficient helped Kaiser drive efficiencies and add value with quality, personalized healthcare for its members with a more agile and robust WebSphere Portal platform
- Code quality initiatives driven by Perficient reduce time to market and error cycles
- Perficient’s Healthcare industry experience helped avoid potential pitfalls in build and deployment, thus shortening development time
- Mentored a solid foundation of skills within the Kaiser organization that will improve internal support and maintenance