Gogo is the leading provider of in-flight internet services. Gogo’s exclusive network and services allow passengers with laptops and other Wi-Fi devices to stay connected while in the air. More than 6,000 aircraft are currently Gogo equipped.
Due to the incremental growth at Aircell Business Aviation Services, Gogo’s Business Aviation unit needed a self-service portal application to help aircraft owners and dealers manage their installed or in-stock equipment, to place the orders to purchase or swap the equipment, to activate the equipment after installed in aircraft, to track the in-flight information, and more. The portal application would orchestrate and integrate all backend systems to provide a unified business view and functionality to users.
In addition, Gogo was looking to apply more disciplined Agile delivery methods, and the project needed to leverage the latest delivery technologies and Scrum software development methodology. The intent was to create a new standard for future projects across the organization.
Perficient implemented the portal solution with J2EE, JBOSS, Spring, Maven, and Jenkins, in conjunction with Agile methodologies, to establish a disciplined delivery structure to flow in the implementation every two weeks. The technologies included:
- UI components with Spring MVC Framework and Web flow in JBOSS - EAP server
- RESTful service with Spring Framework, Hibernate, and JPA in JBOSS - SOA server
- Continuous build and deployment via Jenkins which included:
- Build the package from GIT
- Run functional unit tests
- Analyze coding style and format
- Deploy the package to JBOSS
- Perform SOAPUI integration tests
- Scrum development methodology
- VersionOne as the Agile tool to facilitate the story definition, resource allocation, and iteration/sprint planning.
Business Value Delivered
- Provided self-service to the full spectrum of Aircell users, which includes internal users, dealers, and aircraft owners
- A virtual single platform to orchestra and integrate a variety of backend systems
- A role model/showcase to use Agile methodologies in project management across the organization
- Set an example of an SOE (Standard Operating Environment) in IT to perform continuous build and deployment
- Demonstrated the potential of Agile development as a model for all future Gogo projects
- Created a customer web portal to integrate multiple data sources