Cricket Communications, the operating subsidiary of Leap Wireless International is a rapidly expanding, nationwide low-cost provider of mobile wireless services. Leap Wireless owns and operates the sixth largest wireless telecommunications network in the United States, Cricket provides wireless services to more than 5.4 million customers in all 50 states.
Cricket’s rapid growth into new markets left it with aging systems that were unreliable, provided little process visibility, and increased customer churn. Cricket selected Perficient as its implementation partner for a service-oriented architecture (SOA) to facilitate migration from its legacy systems to new BSS/OSS.
Perficient created a modern architecture for the integration of the new systems supporting Cricket's BSS/OSS including SOA, event-driven architecture, business process management, complex event processing and master data management.
Perficient designed and built the SOA to support the implementation and business-process integration of the following systems:
- Billing system replacement analysis and integration
- New point of sale system analysis and integration
- Platform for new supply chain management
- Local number portability application replacement and integration
- Master data management of location and product information
- Integration with a third-party vendors for electronic payments processing
- Enterprise-wide system refactoring to support a major new product launch
- Assessment and recommendations for more strategic test data management
- New data management processes and reverse engineering of the existing ETL/data warehouse infrastructure
Cricket leveraged the Perficient Quick Start Rulebook to establish SOA standards and governance. Perficient's Generic Exception Handler and Audit Logger created an out-of-the-box set of utility services for SOA.
Business Value Delivered
Perficient’s SOA frameworks and development methodology enabled Cricket to implement several major systems very quickly and:
- Established standardized methodologies, governance, templates and frameworks that brought structure and reuse to what was a very entrepreneurial environment
- Improved visibility into enterprise-wide system events and exceptions
- Increased purchased software ROI
- Enabled agile new product launches through an improved SOA based integration infrastructure
- Established error-management and audit-logging SOA utility services
- Paved the way for complete SOA adoption within Cricket
- Reduced total software cost of ownership